As a professional medical illustrator for over 40 years, Roy has created over thousands of visuals in a wide variety of medical disciplines depicting surgical procedures and placement of orthopaedic hardware. He has worked with over 25 Law Firms in the Toledo and Cleveland areas and has extensive experience in developing visualization concepts as they apply to the advancement of medical education.
In 2000, Roy received the International Dr. Frank Netter Award from the Association of Medical Illustrators (AMI) for an original concept and design of the work interactive work titled 'Anatomy Revealed'. 'Anatomy Revealed' was discovered by the McGraw -Hill Publishing company and was re-engineered as virtual dissection software program for human anatomy called 'Anatomy & Physiology Revealed' (APR). Currently in its 3rd version, APR has become one of McGraw-Hills most successful digital assets and won numerous prestigious awards:
Innovations to Curriculum Award. American Medical Association. 1999
NewMedia Invision Awards--5 awards in total. NMC, 2000
Corporate Achievement Award In Technical Innovation. McGraw-Hill Publishing, 2006
Addition of the Year Award. McGraw-Hill Public, 2007
Currently Roy is working on the design and creation of surgical simulation training programs for Virtual Immersive Reality (VIR) experiences.
He is been an active member of the AMI for over 30 years, having served as a board member of the AMI's Vesalius Trust..
1. Positioning in Surgery and in Anesthesia. (3 editions / approximately 300 illustrations). Saunders Publishers, 1984
2. Journal of Neurosurgery Front Cover Design 1989 & !990
3. Orthopaedic Illustrations for numerous research papers and surgical journals - Over 2500 illustrations from 1986 thru 1998.
4. Anatomy and Physiology Revealed. 1st , 2nd and 3rd editions. McGraw-Hill Publishing. 2006, 2008, 2010.
5. 3D Fruit Revealed – Educational App for iPhone and iPad, 2010
6. Clinical Anatomy: A Case Study Approach. McGraw-Hill Publishing (University of Toledo). © 2013. ISBN:978-0-07-16842-6
8. Journal, Front Cover Design. ACS Medicinal Chemistry Letters. January, 2013
9. Journal, Front Cover Design. Royal Society of Chemistry. November, 2014
10. Journal, Front Cover Design. IUPAC Chemistry International. November, 2014
1. San Diego, California, Association of Medical Illustrators July, 1998
2. Brussels, Belgium. March, 2000, Alternative dissection programs.
3. Toledo Museum of Art. Toledo, OH. February, 2008, Visual Concepts in Science and Medicine.
4. Seagate Center, Toledo, OH. February 2010, NSTA, National Science Teachers Association.
5. Trial Lawyers Association, Columbus Ohio, June 2010.
6. Eighth Grade Enrichment Program, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH.
7. Camp Med. University of Toledo, Toledo, OH, One per school year, 2009-2012
8. Manchester, United Kingdom, Advanced Imaging CT/MRI, May, 2013.
University of Toledo 8th Grade enrichment program. Annual event from 2003 until present.
University of Toledo High School Science Lectures. Annual event from 2004 until present.
University of Toledo Medical Illustration Internship. Instructor of Anatomy, Physiology and Visual concepts in Medical Illustration 2000 until present.